Launch Team has partnered with the REVEL Race Series and the Portland Marathon to offer half marathon training programs and a free half marathon race entry to youth 18 and under. There are currently three training seasons/locations in Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and Portland, OR. Participants can sign up after start date and volunteer coaches will work to ensure that they are ready for race day.
All participants will be following the Launch Team 12 week training plan. According to the plan, each team will meet twice each week at an area location and time established by the head coach. In addition, the plan will specify 1-2 additional runs or activities per week outside of the group. Participants select their training location during signup.
Spring Dates: April through June
For the spring season, the Portland Launch Team trains for the REVEL Mt Hood Half Marathon, which is held on the fourth Saturday in June. Training starts first of April.Group Locations:
- Duniway Park Track at Corner of SW Barbur Blvd and SW Sheridan St, Portland, OR. Meet Wed at 5:30pm and Sunday at 7am.
Fall Dates: July through October
For the fall season, Portland Launch Team trains for the Portland Half Marathon on the first Sunday in October. Training starts mid July.Group Locations:
- Duniway Park Track at Corner of SW Barbur Blvd and SW Sheridan St, Portland, OR. Meet Thurs at 5:30pm and Sunday at 7am.
Spring Program: January through April
The spring team will train in two locations to run the REVEL Mt Charleston Half Marathon on April 4. Entry fees will include the cost of the race entry and training. Parents are welcome to sign up and join the youth at training and at the race.
- North Team: Kellogg Zaher Sports Complex, W. Washington Ave & N. Buffalo Dr, Las Vegas 89128. Practice times are Wed at 4:30pm and Sat at 8am.
- Henderson Team: Heritage Park, 300 S Racetrack Rd, Henderson. Practice times are Wed at 6pm and Sat at 8am.
The Salt Lake Launch team trains from March through May in three locations to train for the REVEL Rockies Half Marathon in Denver. The three locations are:
- Davis County. Farmington Pond, 750 N 75 W, Farmington 84025. Practive times are Tues at 4:30pm and Sat at 8am.
- Draper. Jordan River Rotary Park, 12299 Vahe St. Draper 84020. Practice times are Thur at 5pm and Sat at 8am.
- Sugar House. Parley's Creek Pavilion, 1330 E 2100 S SLC 84106. Practive times are Tues at 6pm and Sat at 8am.
Entry fees to Utah spring participants will includes the cost of travel and lodging to Denver for the race. The team will travel together via bus/vans with coaches as chaperones. We will leave the morning of Thursday (June 4) and will return after the race (June 6). Lodging via hotel or rented house(s) will be provided. The youth will be responsible to bring money to pay for food. Parents are welcome to sign up and join the youth on the bus and at the housing.
The Salt Lake Launch Team trains over the summer for the REVEL Big Cottonwood Half Marathon in September.
Dates: June through September
Training starts mid-June!Group Locations:
- Cottonwood Heights: Crestwood Park, 7485 S. Siesta Dr. Meets Tuesday at 7pm and Saturday at 7am.
- Bountiful - Meets Tues and Sat at 6:30am at Denver and Rio Grand Rail Trail, 900 W 400 N, W. Bountiful 84087.
- Daybreak: 11400 S and Kestrel Rise Rd, South Jordan. Meets Tuesday and Saturday at 7am.
- Provo/Orem - Meets Wednesday at 6pm and Saturday at 8am
- Sugar House - Meets Wednesday evening and Saturday morning
- Thanksgiving Point: 9744 W. Bullriver Rd. Meets Wednesday at 7pm and Saturday at 7am
Parents are also welcome to sign up! For the same price, you can train with The Launch Team and receive all the same benefits as the youth do. Just sign up separately and you are good to join us at all the training and you will be given a race entry as well. During training and on race day, you are welcome to run with your youth or at your own pace. This is a great way to get your own training in while spending time with your youth!
The Launch Team was founded to offer youth an opportunity to participate in a challenging yet rewarding experience that sets them on a path towards lifetime health in an encouraging environment with their peers. Athletic ability does not matter. We expect some participants to walk the entire half marathon while others may have already completed other half marathons and are looking to improve their time. The program is open to all levels of participants.
What People Are Saying
I loved being a part of the Launch Team. It helped me do something I never thought I'd be able to do at my age - Run a Half Marathon!—Kilia Brawand
I loved being a part of the Launch team. ! I loved meeting with them each week and seeing them grow. Watching these kids achieve their goal was inspiring! This is a great experience for everyone involved!—Angie Richman - Parent/Coach
Being in the launch team was a ton of fun! It made training so much easier and it was so motivating to go on runs. It really helped me get into running.—Jacob Richman
Launch Team is a great program that bonds kids together while helping them accomplish a huge goal together. It is amazing to see kids run 13.1 miles at the end of their training!—Tara McHugh - Coach
I would never have run a half marathon without launch team.—McKay Brooks
Lauch Team was one of the greatest things I've ever done. The trainers were very nice and helpful. We got to run fun places like the mountains and parks. I had run a few half marathons before this experience, but this was the first running group I have ever been with. It was super fun, and I ended up running a new PR by over 7 minutes!—Jacob Ball
The Launch Team helped me learn to love running, and learn to love and appreciate my body! I was hesitant at first, I really didn't necessarily want to run a half marathon, or even think I could, but my mom convinced me to do it. I am so glad I did! I learned so much, and made some great friends, and I am excited to do it again this year and crush some new goals!—Alaina Ball
Launch Team was a great experience-I totally loved it! It helped me meet a lot of my goals and stay active over the summer. I set new goals and met them with flying colors, and made some new friends as well! The Launch Team was so much fun, I encourage anyone on the fence to dive right in and do it! Running did more for me than I ever thought it could; with some shoes, a great attitude, and Launch Team, you can't go wrong!—Malia Ball
- Half Marathon Race Entry
- 12 weeks of coaching and training
- A Launch Team performance t-shirt
The coaching program is tailored to ensure that participants are ready for their big day. The plan progressively increases mileage and intensity to keep things interesting from week to week. Participants can expect to run on the area's tracks, roads and trails while completing fun workouts each week that build the confidence they need to achieve their goals on race day.